Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Thanks for the tips as they are helpful, and if I had the option of bringing them in I would but not this year. The size of the tank is about 300 gallons; it is a water hauling tank with the top cut off.

My main concern is with the next few nights, or at least tonight as I think it will drop below freezing so not sure what will happen.

Last night the water only dropped to 62 but tonight will be another story.

Like I said mine was a cheap first time setup just to see what I could do, and for the most part has worked pretty well, just need to add some better filtration next year.

Back to the point as least here are probably the options I have for tonight so please let me know what you think I should do:

1. Leave as is with the pump running. (which basically runs water through a home made bio filter and then sprinkles the water back into the tank adding a little more air as well.

2. Turn the pump off all together so the water does not fall through the cold air (possibly accelerating the temp drop of the water)

3. Pull the hose from the filter and leave the pump running under the water with the hose causing the water to circulate possible warming the water better.

Please let me know which one of these would be the best option and I will try it out. If by chance I can find a tarp or something to put on top I may do that as well.

Now as far as insulating the tank what would be the best thing to use to do so and easiest way to apply the material?

Thanks

You got me. I'd probably have a fish fry and set it back up new and improved next year.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.