Okay, here's my update.

Last Fall when I drained and seined my upper ponds [SMB and RES/CSBG Hybrid reproduction ponds] it flowed through my experimental HBC pond pretty well. Later that Fall and into Winter I began catching some HBC in the main pond. I was pretty surprised to learn they had somehow made it through the overflow and through 150 yards of marsh to my main pond. I was surprised because none of the 3 SMB nor my few male CSBG left the pond, only the HBC. So, experiment is over in regards to my intentions of isolating them. Not smart.

Apart from learning that given the opportunity HBC will head for moving water, here's the other data:

Growth rates for first 12 months - max size 8", average size was more like 7". So that's around 80-100% growth first year. Last winter we popped a few just under 10", but these were from my main pond through the ice. I think the HBC benefit from a much stronger and varied forage base in the main pond. So, after 16 months we saw fish approaching 10". I think this is pretty standard growth rates for Crappie, but I'm not certain. So, jury is still out to see if these HBC growth rates are increased over standard BC or WC.

In regards to reproduction - I have not witnessed any to this point, but have not been seining. I did trap a few fish today and will post below. I was excited to see evidence my YP were reproducing, but the other fish concerned me - look like Crappie to me. What are your thoughts?

Attached Images
Picture 375.jpg Picture 374.jpg Picture 372.jpg

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]