Diesel fuel is a big factor in digging the pond, as is the equipment used. The distance that you have to move the dirt is another factor. I think I spent more $$ spreading out the dirt from renovating the pond than I did getting the dirt out of the ground. It sure took more time to get it spread out!

There are lots of dirt movers out there, and any of them can dig a pond. Now, the big question is whether that pond will be user friendly, and whether or not it will hold water. With the good pond builders, that's one thing you don't have to worry about. It will be very expensive to have a contractor come back and fix a leaking pond, plus if it leaks a year later, you have the possibility of losing the fish that you stocked.

Take your time, and research how to construct a pond. Pond Boss has a few books for sale that will help with that, and they make good reference material.

The more that you know about digging and constructing a pond, the easier it will be for you to discuss the various aspects of the pond with a contractor.

I probably could have saved 25% or more of my construction costs by knowing more about digging a pond. For one thing, I would have made sure the contractor had the correct equipment, and in retrospect would have the contractor give me a finished price, not a per hour price.

You don't need to aerate, but you can hold more fish per acre if you do, and aeration will give you more of a buffer for harsh weather conditions (i.e. hot cloudy conditions). Aeration will minimize the possibility of a fish kill due to lack of oxygen during adverse weather conditions, plus it will help minimize the muck build up in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).