I wanna share one of the cooler "cheater" tools that I found.
-
I am not much for drywalling, but I can do it. Cutting it and screwing it to the framing is no big deal, particular with the incredible boost that Dski gives by hanging onto the other end of each sheet. The drywall hoist comes in second, but is also irreplaceable for this 2-horse team.
The real bugaboo for me is cutting the holes for outlet boxes.
For those that are up to speed with drywall installation, the hot setup is a spiral saw, the most popular being RotoZip. I have a knock-off brand, but it works just fine. The tough part is actually using it. Compound that with the fact that we are using plastic boxes and it gets a little more complicated. There is a special "guide point" bit that helps from cutting thru the plastic box, but it can still burn through if you don't have the right touch and experience. I really don't, but I'm getting better.
My problem is feeling confident that the hole I am cutting blindly is, indeed, right along the outside of the box. Sometimes I am sure I am right on the money, then I realize the bit is halfway to Phoenix and I just FUBAR'd a sheet of drywall. I need reassurance that I am still in the ballpark as I cut, and somebody realized it and invented this thing. It's called Blind Mark.

Those round dots are super strong magnets. You place one of them right inside the plastic box. The "Locator" has the same magnets on the bottom side.

This example is actually a two-gang box, so I am going to use 2 "targets".

Then, lay up the sheet of DW and screw it in with enough screws to hold it up, but keep the screws at least 32" away from the box (exactly the same way a Pro does it without using these cheater magnet things).
Rub the "Locator" on the sheet until the magnets "grab it"....and man, they do grab it. It will line up exactly with the target behind the sheet. Mark the outline.

Then, do the same thing for the locator next to it.

Given these lines, I now have the confidence to begin cutting.

Taa-Daa...almost like the Pro's....almost