I live in Cleveland Texas. The area we dug my pond in is clay, and a low area of my property. When it rained, it held water until it evaporated. When I dug the pond, we found some really hard clay, packed, so hard we could not dig but a few inches at a time with a 200 series track hoe when we reached it. Due to this, there are areas that are only a couple of feet deep. My questions is can a pond be too shallow? About half of the 3/4 acre pond is about four to five feet, the other half is only about two feet.
I know of a guy about 10 miles away that dug his pond deep, about 15 feet and went through the clay. Now he has problems with his pond loosing water, I don't want that.
I plan on redigging it next year by lowering the level down about two feet and bringing in a bigger hoe, if finances and the wife allow.
The pond is well stocked, and I have not seen any fish kills, I keep it aerated with a waterfall and fountain, so it seems healty.
What are your thoughts.

Billy E
Cleveland Texas

"If you never do more then you get paid for, you will never get paid for more then you do." BE