Quote:
I think we have a different understand of bullheads. Mudcats and bullheads are same. I have never seen a bullhead that big.

"Mudcat" is one of those terms that unfortunately changes from location to location. It is kind of like our Texas friends catching "perch in their tanks." It took us non-Texans a while to figure out that they were catching bluegill in their ponds.

Back where I grew up, a mudcat was a a flathead catfish, also known as a yellow cat -- which is much different than a yellow bullhead.

From what I know of white catfish, they are the largest of the bullhead family, or the smallest of the "large" catfish family, such as channel cats, blue cats, and flathead cats.

And, then there are things we have around here called "madtoms" which others call stonecats. They small and very feisty, but they make great bass bait. They are the smallest of the catfish.

So, that is why I was looking for a positive identification of this critter.

Quote:

What I can say is the world record white cat is 18 pounds, 14 ounces. I've caught them over 8 pounds myself. However, any white cat over 20" is in my opinion like catching a CC over 30" and a fine trophy! When was the first time you stocked CC from Zett's in your pond? That may give you an age on your oldest white cat. I'm guessing your fish have lots of growing left to do...

White cats probably are not native to WV. Although native to the Potomac River, they're a species more commonly found in the tidal reaches not the up stream mountainous upper section of the river. That where yellow bullheads call home. Maybe WV will create a white cat catagory for your fish...?

I'm guessing these guys came with a batch of 10-12 inch catfish I got from Zetts three years ago. It is possible, but not too probable that they were from some 4-5 inch cats I put in five years ago. I don't think any of them survived the bass and big cats that were in the pond at that time.

As far as I know, the white cats don't come much beyond the tidal waters of the Potomac, so they probably aren't in any of our local tributaries, like the Shenandoah, Cacapon, South Branch, etc.

Even if they did have a category for citation white cats, I wouldn't apply. I've had enough problems with poachers over the years. With Google Maps and county GIS maps, it has gotten way too easy to find properties.

Quote:
What ever it is it is well fed.

So Ken did you throw it back in or did you make Bullhead Burritos?

Jeff -- I did take this one out, kind of reluctantly. He'll go in the smoker later this afternoon. When they start getting to about two-feet and bigger, they really begin to cause problems in the pond. I was hoping they wouldn't get as big as the channel cats. Right now I've got to get several channel cats out that are over 30 inches. I just hope that the white catfish continue to successfully reproduce in the pond.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!