hello everyone,
I am so excited that I accidentally ran across this site. As far as I can tell it is EXACTLY what I have been looking for since early last fall. I just had a pond dug last fall. I had an area in my yard that was constantly wet from an underground spring, so my wife and I decided to dig a pond. It was mainly to be for the scenery and for my yellow lab to play in, but with the addition of our first grandchild, it is now going to be for fishing (for him of course - ok maybe grandpa will have to supervise every now and then) and as a swimming hole. So without any real advise (god I wish I had found this site back then) I hired a dozer operator and we dug a small pond, about 1/8 of an acre, maximum depth is about 13 feet. I put in a 4" overflow pipe. and I stood by and watched it fill. I was amazed at how quickly it filled up. Now I am dealing with issues like water quality, vegetation (both in the water and on the banks), structure, stocking fish, and the list goes on and on. I am sure I will have many many questions, and hopefully I will be able to help others as I go on this journey and learn as much as I can. I just want to thank all of you who make up this forum, I have so much to learn, and it sure feels like I have found a home.
Thanks everyone.