Lusk has written confirming the effectiveness of HSB controlling controversial species, here's my opinion based on my own experiences.

HSB are a top of the line predator, if you want them in a private pond, be prepared to throw feed. Toss in a few channel cats as they enjoy the same food, but occupy a different nitch, those are for eating, let the HSB grow \:\)

Suppliment the forage base with everything but the kitchen sink...heck, go ahead and throw that in for structure \:\) I have BG, Gambusia, Tilapia (in season), and Threadfin shad. I also don't shy away from white perch (aka crappie, sac-a-lait)

HSB are eating machines and quickly devour an underdeveloped forage base. If you choose to go full throttle with the forage, you can always cut back on the feed to pressure the natural consumption of fish in the 1-3.5" range if they become overpopulated.

Shawn, you'll only get 1 real chance at stocking HSB for the first time...I would stock 100 and get a feeder ready by Spring if I were in your shoes. They are incredible fish.

You appear to have a very good handle on what you're doing...the CNBG/fatheads will provide good nutrition the 1st year, and new ponds often produce phenominal growth rates too. Your forage base should have been in place 1 year prior to stocking predators...but if you suppliment feed, you should be ok.