Maybe the above discussion has put too much emphasis on the ability of aeration and mixing of the water to slow down or suppress a bloom. Many phytoplanktonic species are able to tolerate strong aeration conditions similar to the turbulent mixing that occurs in large windswept lakes. I would consider 3-4-5 turnovers a day to be strong mixing. Often during what appears as active aeration the majority of the water column is still moving very slowly compared to stream currrents - conditions where planktonic algae typically does not 'do well' compared tro lake or pond conditions. Thus the planktonic algae can adequately thrive in well aerated ponds. In my experience rarely does active aeration suppress or stifle development of a bloom if chemical conditions are 'right' (proper nutrient balance) for producing a bloom.

If the nutrient balance is not 'right', slowing the mixing rate IMO will not likely increase the blooom.
G1fiddle states "1. Check water clarity...if it's more than 18 - 20 inches I may not have enough algae. Might indicate I need to slow down on aeration schedule."" In this case if water is too clear and one wants a better or 'good' bloom, I think the best first step would be to add a little more fertilizer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/26/11 08:20 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management