Often when one purchases new pellet trained fish and releases them into a new or an older established pond, the fish do not right a way show up to devour the pellets. This could occur and does occur for numerous reasons.

In this specific instance, I have some inight into the apparent problem. I know the history of the fish that Errick purchased.
1. These fish will be one yr old this April (2011) which means they did not learn or commence eating pellets until the water was fairly warm - imprinting to pellets for only 5-6 months (May-Oct).

2. The OH hatchery where these YP were raised does not feed pellets until the water reaches 55-60F because the 'farmer' has had fish deaths from feeding dry pellets to his fish at low water temperatures <50-55F. The new perch could still have some of last year's body fat which will allow them to function without eating for at least several weeks.

3. Many of the new fish that Errick received were fertile and 'ripe'. At this time of year they could be focused on sex more than food.

4. New fish in a new pond almost always have to become accustomed to completely new surroundings which often takes time.

5. New fish in a new pond often have a good amount of natural foods to sustain them for several weeks until they become hungry enough to locate the pellet feeding station and time of feeding. The two have to occur together. Low amounts of natural pond foods helps 'push' fish back into seeking and eating pellets.

6. Sometimes pellet trained fish that are less than 1 yr old will not readily seek out pellets to eat. The degree of habituation to pellets that the fish poses has a big influence on how quickly the new fish will return to eating pellets. I prefer to have fish habituated to pellets for 1.5 - 2 yrs before they free roam in the pond. This is just my preference.

7. Water clarity can influence how well the new fish can find or locate pellets. IMO cloudy water slows the time required for new fish to find and feed on pellets. Others may see this as a benefit.

8. Are the pellets being tossed out at the same time or location that the new fish have been previously accustomed to eating pellets? Fish are very much creatures of habit. New feeding times and locations will have to be re-learned by these new fish. Pellet flavor and protein content can also play roles here, which is why I always ask what the fish were accustomed to eating.

9. IMO and experiences YP are inquisitive, but relatively dumb fish compared to other fish that I have worked with. Relearning to take pellets can take some time. Other roaming fish such as trout, HSB, often LMB and BG will much more quickly find and locate pellet food tossed into the pond compared to YP.

10. These fish have not eaten pellets since last fall - 5 months. There is probably some relearning to do.

11. New YP start refeeding on pellets a lot quicker in a pond when existing fish are already feeding on pellets and older experienced fish can lead, train or tutor the new fish to the pellet feeding activity in the new pond. I call these older fish 'teacher fish'.

12. I received siblings of Errick's YP. My fish are in cages. They are very shy. At this time (8 days after removal from grow-out pond), they will not come to the surface for pellets - water temp 45-50F whereas older experienced YP will feed at the surface. But new caged YP, will cautiously eat soften, rolled pellets after they sink about 2 ft deep. In 2-3 weks, and as water warms these YP will be more accustomed to their new surroundings and the new feeding schedule. Then they will gradually become braver and take pellets from the surface. Light intensity seems to have a big affect with this process. I usually feed pellets at sundown.

In summary, be patient, let the water warm to 55-60F, resume feeding pellets near dusk when YP are less shy, feed from same location, maybe make a 'little' ground or water noise before feeding to attract attention of fish. Crush some of the pellets at beginning of feeding for minnow feeding. Often the feeding activity of the minnows will refresh the memory of the YP and help reduce the hesitancy to feed by the YP. I always feed my new YP in a cage for varying times to get them accustomed to the new conditions and feeding process before they are relased. Resident YP 'train' newly released YP to "how its done" in Cody Pond. All these things insure a high percentage of fish that eat pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/29/11 09:43 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management