Those 300 original perch are your bread and butter fish. Take good care of them! I would take every effort to not allow natural reproduction in your pond. Trying to manage baby reproduced fish in a small pond is the hardest way to grow big fish. Its way easier to grow a young 4-6 inch stocked perch into a trophy than it is to grow a reproduced perch in your small pond into a trophy. Simply stocking 30-50 adult perch annually or biannually (if you plan on harvesting some) will help sustain a trophy perch fishery

I like to overstock predators like walleye and do not want them to do 'well' or grow very big if managing for big panfish is the goal. That is the biggest misconception that people just simply can't get over. You hear that walleyes dont do 'well' in ponds so don't stock them. Those are people thinking that the goal of every fish in the pond is to grow them into a trophy. Not the case, the goal is to stock them as a tool for wiping out as many of the YOY fish as possible. Keep them small, overpopulated, stunted, and skinny. When or if the walleye grow to over 15 inches long I would remove them and stock new ones.

25 walleye in your .25 acre pond would be what I would recommend and I would definitely wait until you see perch reproduction to stock them. You dont want those walleye competing with your perch food for awhile.

Pellet feeding even a small amount is more necessary the smaller the pond is. Also if you really want to have some fun make yourself a small cage or trap to store minnows and start feeding your perch off your dock every time you go down. It wont take long and you will have them babies eating right from your hand. Once they really get trained to feeding live minnows you can sub cut fish and they will gobble it up.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/18/11 09:33 AM.