You got hosed. The HBG will spawn somewhat but are not what you need. I can only assume that the hatchery guy was better at selling fish than stocking for a balanced pond. The BG and CNBG spawn multiple times in the South to create the sustained forage base needed to feed larger predators.

OK, I don't think all is lost. I would get some 2 to 4 inch CNBG or BG, maybe 1,000, and add to the mix. Some will spawn true and some will cross to create a Green Sunfish. Some consider the green sunfish an undesirable fish. Neither I nor the bass agree with that. Wait about 3 months and add some 3 to 6 inch bass. You can add the catfish now. Along the way, you should have a lot of fun with the HBG and get a lot of fish dinners.

The alternative is to rotenone the whole thing and start over.

More than likely, in either case, you will want at least one feeder. I know that may not meet your idea of a self sustaining, balanced pond. However, ponds are seldom, over time, either balanced or self sustaining.

Did you check your water quality, PH and alkilinity, prior to stocking?

BTW, I would do my fish buying elsewhere in the future. That guy does not have your best interest at heart or is ignorant.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP