Hello all! New to Pond Boss, and think it is an awesome resource.

I am seeking advice on stocking 2 man-made ponds, both about 1/4 in size on the farm where a friend currently lives in western WA, NE of Seattle. Further stats on the ponds:

- both are about 11-12 feet deep in their deepest parts
- both have large boulders submerged, floating & submerged logs
- emergent plants such as cattails, wapato, wild rice and pickerel weed have been planted
- the intention is to raise fish for the table with little to no supplemental feeding
- both ponds have rain-fed inflow of water for 3/4 of the year
- Considering a BG, LMB, catfish combo of some kind
- Ideally my friend would love to have a self-sustaining population of fish for the table
- He plans to use fishing for his family as a means of partial population control

Have any of you stocked ponds in WA state? Have you raised Bluegill for the table in ponds this small? What advice would you give for a beginner for this climate/pond size/etc.?

I will add, that we are taking great considerations to continue to provide good habitat for native amphibians as well as the fish. We realize that the fish will likely prey on the amphibian larva/and/or adults, and plan to set up structures to create some safe areas for them. We also know we will likely give some fish to the local great blue heron that comes by once in a while, and don't begrudge it that. Much of the ponds is deeper water, which will hopefully provide some safe haven from constant heron predation...

These ponds are meant to be both habitat for wildlife as well as a source of protein. Perhaps, that is a lot to try and balance at once but that is our intention right now.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Last edited by 3sp Stickleback; 02/28/11 06:47 PM.