First off I want to thanks pond boss and all of its contributors helping us 6 years ago to have a successful stocking of rainbow trout in our pond. We stocked it with 200 rainbows and over the last five years the kids gradually fished them out and we had years of fantastic fishing with the last year catching 7-9 pound monsters. Besides the fishing they were great eating. Well, we are done with that chapter and while trout were great they required a bit more maintenance time than what we want to spend over the next several years so we are researching and planning for the next re-stocking which we want to do this spring.

Here is the data on the pond:
1.) approx 1/2 acre, 70' x 220' rectangular
2.) 3-4 feet deep along one half the length and dredged out on the other half 5 years ago to 8-12'.
3.) 50 year old pond, built by my grandfather
4.) 20 gal/min. artesian well flowing in and anywhere from 0-10 gal/min outflow depending on time of year. input on one end and outflow on other. We can supplement that with a pump driven well for an additional 15 gal/min if needed (used for trout).
5.) Good crops of vegetation yet have not identified what yet.
6.) have two aerators in place with timer and temp controls to turn on/off if needed (used for trout)
7.) Have a Sweeney pellet feeder with 75 pound hopper with programmable timer and feed rate control.
8.) Pond is at our property in West branch, Michigan in the upper half of the lower peninsula approx 2 hrs from where our family lives and we have a couple of people who get up there 6-8 times per year to take care of things.
9.) We have approx $1K budgeted for 2011 to stock and feed for the fish.
10.) All trout are fished out yet we have a bunch of small bluegill, perch and ? in there (many hundreds) and they never grow beyond 4-6", stunted?
11.) We are willing to get rid of the current fish and start over.
12.) good ph levels and oxygen yet can increase the oxygen with the aerators. Also are willing to run the aerotrs during the winter to reduce icing and winter kill.

Objectives:
1.) Start a new stocking and growing cycle 2011
2.) grow fish for kids and adults alike to catch and have fun with. Mostly catch and release with some harvesting.
3.) lower maintenance and costs than our past experience with rainbows.
4.) creating a near self sustaining system. We are willing to add stock every several years if necessary and to run a feeder with a moderate amount of food yet want the ecology of the pond and feed stock to provide a good portion of the food.

Based upon my earlier research, I am inclined toward a program of warm water fish focusing on hybrid bluegills (want to grow them big to one pound+ or so) with some bass and other fish to complement and add feed stock. Ideas, suggestions. I appreciate your time to read this and offer your thoughts. thanks in advance.

1/2 acre pond in West Branch, MI. Plan to stock in early 2025