Originally Posted By: surfsteve
Hmm... These are fish and game regulations. My fish are pets. Unless I pull a permit or invite them, what gives them jurisdiction over my back yard and my pets? It's not like one of their deer wandered in or even one of their fish and I'm not on their property so how do fish and game rules apply to me and my pets?

They may be pets to you, but they are definitely fish and game to the state. CaF&G can go on any property at any time for an investigation. In some states the signing of a hunting or fishing permit waives your rights and authorizes the game warden to enter your premises without a warrant to check for wildlife violations.

Here is a VERY pertinant portion of the California law for you to consider.....IIRC, it went into effect on 05/01/2010 and does NOT have any "Grandfathering" clauses...NOTE- ALL tilapia are of the family Cichlidae

14 CCR § 671 Cal. Admin. Code tit. 14, § 671

§ 671. Importation, Transportation and Possession of Live Restricted Animals.

(a) It shall be unlawful to import, transport, or possess alive animals restricted in subsection (c) below except under permit issued by the Department of Fish and Game. Permits may be issued by the department as specified herein and for purposes designated in Section 671.1 subject to the conditions and restrictions designated by the department. Except for mammals listed in Fish and Game Code Section 3950 or live aquatic animals requiring a permit pursuant to Fish and Game Code Section 2271, no permit is required by this section for any animal being imported, transported, or possessed pursuant to any other permit issued by the department. Cities and counties may also prohibit possession or require a permit for these and other species not requiring a state permit.

long list of various animals follows, among them:

(O) Family Cichlidae -Cichlids
1. Tilapia sparrmani (Banded Tilapia) (D).

2. Tilapia zilli (Redbelly tilapia) (D), except permits may be issued to a person or agency for importation, transportation, or possession in the counties of San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, and Imperial.

3. Tilapia aurea (Blue tilapia) (D).

4. Tilapia nilotica (Nile tilapia) (D).