Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Originally Posted By: surfsteve
Hmm... These are fish and game regulations. My fish are pets. Unless I pull a permit or invite them, what gives them jurisdiction over my back yard and my pets? It's not like one of their deer wandered in or even one of their fish and I'm not on their property so how do fish and game rules apply to me and my pets?

Read the name of the regulation:
REGULATIONS GOVERNING PRIVATE STOCKING OF
AQUATIC PLANTS AND ANIMALS (NONCOMMERCIAL)

Do what ever you want, you should just know the law.

I have read these regulations over and over my interpretation is this:

IF your property is located in certain areas (see page 3 of the regulations sited above) and IF you only want to stock one of the following fish (white catfish, channel catfish, blue catfish, largemouth bass, bluegill, Sacramento perch, rainbow trout, redear sunfish) then you DO NOT have to get a permit.

If your pond is not located in the geographic areas detailed in the brochure AND/OR if you want to stock ANY fish other than the eight species listed above then you must apply for a "Private Stocking Permit" (Form FG 749).

Note: this permit only lets you stock fish in private waters, this permit does not allow you to sell aquatic plants or animals.

This post is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Read the regulations yourself and draw your own conclusions.

What about a backyard Koi pond? How many people with a koi pond have a permit?