Originally Posted By: surfsteve
Hmm... These are fish and game regulations. My fish are pets. Unless I pull a permit or invite them, what gives them jurisdiction over my back yard and my pets? It's not like one of their deer wandered in or even one of their fish and I'm not on their property so how do fish and game rules apply to me and my pets?

I didn't read the link Jeff provided but there should be something applicable to aquaculture. Perhaps in the link gflo provided? BTW the government does have jurisdiction over our pets. There are all kinds of laws on the books regarding pets and restrictions for certain species.

I know haulers and fish farmers that go under the radar or feign ignorance and get away with it. On the other hand, I know of a few people that were caught that were fined dearly. It's entirely possible you'll never get approached with a backyard operation but then again...

As much a pain as it is, I get all the required permits and follow the laws even the ones that are so utterly stupid they defy explanation. I just couldn't sleep at night knowing that one knock on the door could shut me down if I was doing something I shouldn't. But my operation went further than a backyard hobby several years ago and hopefully is destined to continue to expand.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/23/10 11:06 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.