I have started an urban farming program, and some of my research has been focused on using human urine as an organic fertilizer. Urine is usually sterile when it leaves the body, and is regarded as one of the most complete organic fertilizers that can be found. It has already been tested in several studies for vegetable crop production, with outstanding results. So, now as I have been reading about the benefits of fertilizing ponds (which is contrary to where they want to remove nutrients from our rivers), I figured this must be a great opportunity that is probably being overlooked by most.
As a garden fertilizer, the recommended dilution is 1 part urine for every 10 parts water. That would be around 13oz per gallon of fertilizer. IF my math is right, that would be a need for 24 times as much urine than a water added fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. But hey, it's free, unlimited, and easy to collect & apply. Since it is so much weaker, that would make it simple to experiment with, especially on a pond that has not been fertilized prior. Also since it is weaker, it should be easier in some sense to apply safely and get even distribution.
I know that since I already have a weed problem (see "40 acre pond"), I will have to deal with that separately. Since my ponds are large, I'm thinking about only fertilizing in certain areas, and seeing how far it spreads . . . see if I can observe an increase in phyto-plankton where I fertilize, and lesser levels furthest from the location.