Originally Posted By: Rainman
FWIW, cage raising fish to grow them out sounds fairly easy, but it is far more complicated and requires a lot of attention, labor and care to get even moderate growth. It doesn't take much of a mistake or unseen problem to wipe out a lot of caged fish quickly. Not such a big deal for people that do it daily as part of the normal routine, but not so easy for others not accustomed to knowing what to do and look out for,

IIRC, HSB and SMB grow at about half the "free range" rate and lost growth is lost forever. Just be sure to figure that into the goals you are looking for.

I've had outstanding growth with lmb, smb, bg, and yp in cages as long as I keep the cage free of algae and put it over deep water. That said these were fingerlings up to 10 to 12 inches. After that it seems they get territorial and stress easier.

One exception was last fall for some reason the smb's were a little stressed so I released them into the pond. It may be have been the time of year as I usually put fish in cages in the spring through summer. One of the easiest fish I raised in a cage were feed trained lmb believe it or not.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.