JKB,

Not sure if it's true, but I've been told you can get by with steeper walls with a liner once the pond is filled? Anyone know? Believe it or not I have vertical and near vertical walls on my production ponds that are holding, although there are some areas I need to add some limestone rip rap for stability. The idea was to keep weed growth down but I can assure you it made no difference.

With steep walls like you're describing, and you had a good ground water well supply, you could keep it cool enough via flow through in the summer for trout. My trout pond is steep walled about 8 feet deep and 55 by 88. With 45 gpm's 24 /7 during the hottest time of the summer my surface water temp never went about the mid 60's. If I had had a liner I would not have had the weed problems I did. If you went with a smaller pond in surface area you could get by with even less flow.

One possible problem I've heard with liners, is air trapped under them for some reason. I do know Stoney Creek has some kind of one way vents you can install. BTW, Stoney Creek has a lot of experience with liners, and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any of your questions. Their prices are pretty decent compared to that other supply company. Tell Cheryl Cecil sent ya. grin I've given them a lot of business. Used to even get fish from them until the VHS sham screwed everything up. I got my first trout from Stoney Creek.

Bruce Condello has some experience with liners. He told a me a few don'ts with them, such as gluing pieces together. He also had some issues with air or water under them. Bruce?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/26/10 09:06 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.