Hello all, my name is Dan, I'm new to the forum (obviously haha). I have a serious situation and could use the expertise of the folks here very badly.
Ok, here goes... two years ago I did some forage stocking of my 1.3 acre 22 ft deep central Illinois pond. The pond is spring fed and has always had exceptionally clear water. I stocked 300 hybrid crappie, 100 4-6 lmb, 100 4-6 channel cats. My intention was to feed a very hearty base of 50 to 60 7-10 lb channel cats and 30 to 40(?) 3 to 5 lb lmb. My pond is rather healthy(well it was) with fresh water clams and such thriving and a twice a year turn over that clears the water even more. All is great until one dismal day that I shall not forget any time soon.... I get to my pond to find a fella and his buddy that I didn't know hauling up from the dock at least 15 of the cats and 4 or 5 of the larger bass. Aside from reaching for my sidearm, I asked the gent exactly what the heck he was doing(not in exactly that verbiage I might add). He told me that he was a friend of my dead father-in-law and that he received permission to fish from my mother-in-law. After the steam stopped spewing from my ears, I called my m-i-l and sure enough..."Oh yes please go fishing thats what its for, have a good time and take as many as you like" was the horrific answer I got. I was then and there aware of the fact the deed was done. I could not hang the dingbat by his toes and get away with it so iI shewed him away with a "I better not see you here again" look. Sooo, all that being said, I now have way to many forage fish and a redear population that could feed a small army. The cats seem to be doing well though the average size dropped about 4 lbs. the bass however are small, infrequent and couple have a larger than average head and super skinny body. They look sickly. Though its not the case with all of them, I am concerned about some type of bacteria or such and would like to stop it from spreading if at all possible. The balance is clearly out. This pond is 37 years old(1 year younger than I) and has been great with no problems that I can ever remember, until now. How do I get the population back to balance? Is population control the answer to my woes? I considered a few northern pike to rid the redear population of the overabundance but that doesn't seem to be the answer for the bass. Please help with any suggestions. I am open to trying anything at this point. p.s. I have had a discussion with the rest of the family and it is now a standing rule that its catch and release only until I get this problem solved and after that no one but family may remove a fish under pain of death. I feel confident that this type of fiasco will not happen again. Please Help. Thanks a bunch folks and all the best, Dan

Work Safe and Rake in the Cash!