I'm sure the plasticizers from the new pool and the fact that the filters are still functioning way below capacity aren't helping but I think the aggression was due to high temperature and primarily the fact that there were places to mate but no places for the female fish to hide. I bought 4 pieces of three inch drain pipe and one piece of 4 inch and cut them into 6 to 8 inch lengths. The bottom of the pool is covered with them and flower pots now and the fish are still swimming at high speed but I haven't noticed any of them attacking each other anymore.

I made the mistake of taking the thermometer out of the pool to see what the air temperature was. It was well above 120 in the sun and now the thermometer is stuck so I wont be able to measure the temp. till I get another one but I could easily take a shower with that water in the daytime. I am concerned how low it drops at night and hope that it wont be too cold for them under a dome this winter.

I'm thinking my next project should be crayfish. The nearest lake is a two hour drive and I'm thinking maybe of going out there one of these days with some wire and some screen and build some traps while I fish to see if I can haul some in to bring back and raise. Is it true that the common varieties will get 6 to 8 inches under ideal conditions?