Originally Posted By: Gambusia
I drove by this pond today and most of the fish had bulging eyes and were bloated from being in the water for a week.....
A big problem with this pond is it has gotten overtaken with invasive aquatic vegitation.
I don't think the city of Asheville has the budget to manage this pond.

Maybe the City doesn't have the budget to properly "manage" the pond, but might possibly have enough funds to conduct an ill-advised/overly-aggressive weed-treatment; the result of which may have crashed the DO. ??
Just call me a conspiracy theorist.
I could detect what appeared to be algae-remnants on the surface, but nothing indicated a serious weed problem - at least not at the time the news-video was shot.
So-called pond "turn-overs", in my experience and understanding, generally occur in response to acute meteorological events - and are not "triggered" simply by the sustained presence of hot/sunny days.
But, if excessive weed populations were present - then abruptly died (were killed) in mass - their absence could rapidly cause an imbalance in the pond's DO "bank account", not to mention a huge spike in BOD prompted by decomposing plant-biomass.
Assuming the lack of an abrupt weather-change, and since the smaller fish apparently died in unison with the larger fish, and due to the implausible and rudimentarily inaccurate on-screen explanation, I'm guessing there's more to the story than what was reported.
Nah! That could NEVER happen here!! Right???