Originally Posted By: surfsteve

Do any of you guys have any details on the media being used in RBC's? I still haven't got that book I ordered.

Page three of this thread third post down. No media just fiberglass roofing cut into circles. In between that is polystyrence plastic cut into circles. The roofing will cost you about $200.00 but the plastic is much cheaper. You also need closed cell foam (the pink stuff in the picture) for flotation.

I was considering making my next one of plastic media packed into a plastic cage mesh cylinder, as i have lots of extra plastic media I used in a packed column, but VanGorder warned me not to. He said it's been done and eventually the drag gets to much and things fall apart including a motor burn out if you use a motor. He says the plates are the way to go as far as he's concerned. He's done a lot of pioneering research and builds large commericial systems so I have a lot of faith in him. The RBC i use in the picture and from the book Small Scale Aquaculture was used in Biosphere II in Arizona. If you don't know anything about that project look it up on the Internet.

Who did you order the book from? I can't imagine why it's taking so long if you ordered it from Amazon.com.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/13/10 12:52 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.