You may think it is bad advice, because you have never seen the damaging effects first hand. Salt accumulates in water. I cannot say that enough. That is where it gathers and stays. It would not take long for those cupfuls of salt to equate to a few sacks of rock salt. I live in an area of disasterous salinity issues. Here is an older study from UC Davis, a few members understand the expertise this ag school supplies the public.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/repositoryfiles/ca4606p18-69646.pdf

You know what a 2,000 acre salt pond looks like? Can you imagine over 600,000 tons of salt leached out annually? This is where I live. I know this subject like the back of my hand. Salt exists everywhere on this planet. Two thirds of it are saturated seas and oceans. Salt also exists in rain, groundwater and city mains. It does not stay in the surface soil long, where the cupfuls are being sprayed. It leaches down to the water below. If this homemade recipe was used continually next to this pond, it would be just a matter of time before that pond was dead. If you think that is bad advice your ignorance on the subject is obvious.

You know how many truckloads of road salt were applied here? Zero.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 08/12/10 11:27 AM.