An email from Rex's wife, Cathy:

"Sunil /Bruce -

Since I really don't know how or where to post on pond boss, I thought it would be easier to just email you both. I wanted to relay that Rex has been in the hospital since Sunday morning. At this point, they think he has had a severe reaction to the Biacin he was taking. It has affected his heart & at first they thought he had a heart attack. It does appear at the very least he may still have an infection (bacterial and/or viral) that is still affecting his heart.

While the fever is not gone, it seems to be contained at this point. He is still in A-Fib, however....his heart rate is all over the board. He was going at 180+ for a while. He also normally has low blood pressure, but that has dropped to dangerous levels at times - so they couldn't give him nitro to lower the heart rate. Last night we were both afraid he wasn't going to make it through the night, because he couldn't breath.

Thankfully, some of the drugs eased some of his breathing & compared to the past few days is MUCH better. Of course, he's still kind of a mess. The arterial scope was clean & his heart & ateries are in great shape. He has a leakage in one valve, but the heart doctor thinks its from the stress his heart is under. They are planning to do a Lumbar puncture today as he has had meningitis symptoms - which is a rare side effect of Biacin. They are also planning to shock his heart tomorrow to try to get it back to a normal rythmn - they were going to do that today, but they want him on antibiotics for another day.

Seems like this is an awfully long email, but trust me, I haven't even scratched the surface of all of the symptoms he's had over the past few days. Even he wanted Dr. House to look at him .

I do know you & all of his friends on Pond Boss were there for him when I was sick and I wanted to let everyone know why he hasn't "been around". I have tried to reply to any business related emails for him. If you could let anyone the board know in case people are waiting for responses, I'd really appreciate it.

While he is being his typical stubborn self and I expect him to be back on the PC as soon as he can, please keep him in your prayers.

Thanks!
Cathy"

I'll send her a note asking for some information especially where Rex is at.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."