My pool was leaking pretty bad so I found another pool just like mine only 2 feet bigger. Turns out mine is a 16 foot even though it only measures 15 and a half. I had thought maybe the frame had stretched but apparently it "shrunk" at the factory.

Anyway after I picked up the pool I picked up my fish. It was about 10 pm and I didn't get home till almost 2 in the morning when I got home and put the fish in the pool. YOU GUYS AREN'T KIDDING! I was amazed at the amount of crap and how dirty the water was by morning. That all happened yesterday and it looks like I'm going to need to do a partial water change by tomorrow. I only have the pool about 1/3 full because of the leak. Funny thing is it looks like all of the leaks in my pool have stopped since I added the fish. I got a feeling that they all got plugged up with fish poop. Hopefully I wont have to go through too many water changes once I get my biofilter up and running.

I've decided to stick with my original plan and build my first biofilter out of 55 gallon drums according to my first plans. Leaving the pool down low makes me realize that siphoning in and pumping out is NOT practical. I found a great video of nearly exactly what I'm going to build. Only differences are I'm going to flip my drum over and cut out the bottom instead of the top. That way I have a nice 2" threaded opening that I can put a ball valve to drain off the solids. I'm also thinking of using the piece I cut out as a shield to keep the current from disturbing solids on the bottom.

I found a neat video today showing the design of my filter. The guy used a smaller container than a drum. I want to also make some bigger filters. I'm a little concerned that a 700 sq ft deer net isn't going to provide enough surface area. I think I'll just start building filters experimenting and adding more and more of them till my pool stays clean without water changes. Water is expensive out here so I hope it doesn't take too long. My water test kit is due to arrive tomorrow. I can tell without the kit that it will already need changing

Here is the video of the filter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQugTLfN0zY
The guy used rope instead of deer mesh. I bet that works a lot better.