Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Bender,

I think the link was only temporary as it was as symposium or something. I tried it too and couldn't get it to come up.

You have some good points and I don't know enough about all the filters to make a good counterargument, but I do know one thing: Several people I know of that tried to use a sand filter exclusively had nothing but problems with clogging and channeling.

Cecil, I googled the site and read the power point about 4am. They are right on the money! Why re-invent the wheel? Ego? Chance at making money? Publishing dollars?

My un-biased Engineering books, plus experience, tell me "You Go Cecil" with your RBC's. They are stable as a rock formation and top notch productive.

When you build your pole barn, I would do stick, like 2x6 and insulate well. After your building is up, and you want to do some nice recycle systems on a budget, let me know. No crazy electrical eating, non stable, machines are allowed!!!

Surfsteve: This is going to be a learning experience, and if things don't work exactly as envisioned or anticipated, keep on plugging away. Submerged filters are quite tricky at best. I have not got a clue as to what the surface area of the deer netting is per 100ft roll, but that is very important. I would also suggest that you throw away that link and do a down flow system with a good solids filter in place. You could maybe use one or two barrels on the up-flow side for solids filtration, then a few on the other side, down flow, for bio-filtration. Down flow on the 55 gallon drums will leave options open for aeration and gas stripping at a future date, albeit, not the best scenario. Then, at least you wont have too much to re-do, and can maybe toss in a few more fish after adjustments. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by JKB; 08/02/10 06:49 PM. Reason: added stuff