Thanks! I downloaded and read all of the free articles that you guys posted. Not much in any of them about using swimming pools but at this point it looks like the best idea.

My next question has to do with filtering the swimming pool.

Can I make what is the equivalent of a giant underground aquarium filter for a swimming pool?

I would like to make the center of the pool a little deeper than the edges so that everything gravitates to the middle. Then I think something like a tall distribution box for a drainfield with drain hoses coming out of it going all around the bottom of the pool. Everything duct taped securely and it must be tall enough to reach above the surface and big enough to run the sump pump. The sump pump could be put inside it to pump out the water that has been filtered by the gravel.

Next I think all the drain pipes should be covered with a thin layer of volcanic 3/4 gravel.

Then a layer of 30 inch wide by 1 inch thick furnace filter cloth should be rolled 1 or 2 layers thick over the entire bottom or at least over the drain hoses.

Finally I think I should add another really thick layer of volcanic gravel. Perhaps several feet deep in the center and only a few inches near the edges of the pool.

As a precaution I think it would be a good idea to put a layer of furnace filter cloth over any part of the bottom the rock is going to be touching so it doesn't poke holes in the liner. I seen this stuff as cheap as 12 dollars for a 20 foot by 30 inch roll.

I suppose I could always add an additional filter after the discharge if I needed to but if it's not needed I think the water should be used for aeration. I'm picturing a bunch of shower heads squirting back into the water. Perhaps it would be a good idea to point them all so that they make the water swirl in a circular vortex towards the middle.

Do you guys think this would be plenty to keep my water clean?