Theo, Firstly, nice photo.

To me this appears to be a late maturing male and currently immature. At least it would be classed as one in a normal population that included bigger sexually mature dominant males. Based on what I know about your pond, I would not consider it a "Sneaker" or "Satellite" male. More about that topic in the Jul-Aug PBoss mag article about raising Behemoth Bluegills. In the May-Jun Bluegill article by Cody, Condello, Baird there will be a Plate showing several males that look very similar to your fish. Your fish pictured may or may not spawn in June depending on the dominant influence of other larger male bgill. There is still 6 weeks for him to "prepare" or develop more male characters for courtship and spawning. If this is one of the largest males in your pond then it will definately be on a bed in June. Otherwise it may wait till next year when it is 8"+ and can better compete with existing larger males.

If I caught this fish it would go into a cage for rearing until it showed more definate signs of being a male before it was stocked into a all male bgill pond. It looks healthy and to me it looks like a good candidate for the behemoth 2 lb status. But a mistake in gender for an all male bgill pond produces lots of small mixed sex bgill. Not the best situation if you are wanting all male bgill.

Note to those interested. The PBoss editor has decided that the Behemoth Bluegill article by Cody, Condello & Baird is going to be a three part article. Third part will focus on male BG management and will be in the July- August PBoss.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management