Greg and PF, thanks for the follow up thoughts. I finally made it out to the pond yesterday after doing my second treatment (which I suspect was much more effective and broad than the first) and noticed what I believe may be a reduction of 1/2 to 1/3 of the watermeal. I don't think it was just an illusion with wind bunching, but rather was real progress. I didn't have the opportunity to re-treat yesterday, but will likely do so again this week or the coming weekend. I will probably use about the same mix of chemicals as this last treatment, though I may get bold and go a little heavier on the diquat.

As far as the timing factor goes for optimal treatment, I agree with you guys completely that early in the season is by far the best time. Circumstances discouraged me from using chemicals early this year and now I'm paying for it, but it looks like I made progress so I'll keep working at it and see if I can keep a semi-usable pond for the remainder of the warm season. Next year, it will be hit from the outset in early spring to hopefully knock out the possibility of the WM emerging in force again. And I will probably want to try the Whitecap/fluoridone route and will pick that up through you, Greg.

In the meantime, my goals do seem to have changed since my first post as I have become very enamored of the idea of doing some plantings of desirable plant species. I hadn't really given that much thought previously and, frankly, have always sort of overlooked those threads or magazine articles as they just weren't of interest. Now, however, the idea of using some good species that will help use up nutrients early to combat the undesirable things is actually really interesting. To that end, I may well just blast the whole pond (PF, it's only a 1/2 acre pond at best), kill what's there, and then start with lillies and stuff like that.

Again, guys, I really appreciate all the help you've both offered in this thread and I will continue to post any progress here.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB