A dragline is very effective in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, I own one and still don't claim expert status but I have some experience with wet digging and some safety advice for you as well.

The main problem I have encountered with the dragline digging wet or soupy material is that the material you can scoop up will turn to a puddle when you try to stock pile it, often it can run out the cracks of a dump truck tail gate too. This also means it is difficult to move said stock piles with a dozer, loader, etc. Wet material takes time to dry and fact is you can't stock it any further from your machine than you dug it from. This all becomes a problem because you will get better at digging and be able to create messes faster than they will be cleaned up. Often these messes will be right where you need to move to to continue digging, get my drift? I always try load and haul away to some other spot if possible.

My machine is on crawler tracks, so I don't have outriggers, but yours should have outriggers for added stability. Never dig without your outriggers down and make sure you get some cribbing to keep them from sinking in, you should have roughly 5 times the surface area of your outrigger pad of cribbing material under it, think oak not pine. Basic craning logic proves if you swing too fast the load can go out past your boom tip thusly increasing your radius and reducing your rated capacity, exceed this number by enough of a difference and it will pull you over. This can be helped by a steeper boom angle to a point, it can also be made worse if ground conditions under your outrigger are soft and you sink in a little.

Keeping all that in mind I would only ever make a spoil pile if you intend to leave it there, loading the material again later just adds time and cost to your operation. You should avoid swinging over your carrier/truck cab lest you like replacing window glass, this means you have to set up your digging and dumping cycle to work off each side of the machine. You can dig like that in straight lines and make several passes to get to your finished excavation or you can dig in a circle and just keep going around in ever widening circles to reach your goal.

Bottom line is be careful, figure on moving slowly, and always think about your next moves and avoid making piles that will be in your way later.