Originally Posted By: Nathan Payne
What's the reason for stocking 10"-12" CC vs fingerlings (which are cheaper)? Other than the fact that they will be ready to eat sooner. Would fingerlings not survive?

CJBS answered it pretty well. From my experience here in Virginia and West Virginia, the price difference between 10-12 inch catfish vs. fingerlings hardly enters into the equation. 4-5 inch fish are $0.75 each. 10-12 inch fish are $1.50 each.

I put 4-5 inch fish in several years ago. I believe they were all eaten the first day. In recent years, I've put in 10-12 inch CC. They have been so successful, I haven't really kept track of them. If put them into the pond by Memorial Day, they are 16-18 inches by Labor Day. By the following May, they are 20-24 inches.

The only real problem is that they are fairly smart, and they have long memories. I've again got some that must be approaching 30 inches, and they know a hook-and-line from everything else they like to snack on.

I credit them for helping me maintain a pond full of citation size bluegill, which is my main goal.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!