Keep in mind that you can't run the .25 acre pond like Todd does as you are not running an aquaculture operation (time and constant monitoring) with aeration. You are probably nearing natural carrying capacity in your situation. I would move some of the fish.

Here is the conundrum. Fish under stress (crowding and low DO) do not grow well. If you have to reduce feeding and they are under stress they will not grow much and you will not reach the goal easily. If you lose to predation or otherwise 80% of the fish you seine and move you are still ahead. Here is why. If you move 1/3 of the fish by weight the remaining fish in the pond will more than make up the possible loss through better growth and condition. Plus the surviving 20 % of the fish you seine and move will also grow better in their new home plus the 80% that get eaten will be reflected in better LMB growth. I would rather have a small BG become forage for a LMB than be part of a large group of floaters in an over stressed pond. I would not risk them all to save a small % from being eaten. Diversify the risk with better upside potential.

You can't run an engine at max rpm indefinitely . It will seize and crash. Same for a pond. Now if you just want the info on how far you can push that pond then that is ok also. Gathering info is an appropriate reason to push the limits if that is the goal.

Last edited by ewest; 06/14/10 10:08 AM.