Originally Posted By: bowjo
When I feed my HBG I have a few 3 1/2" sunfish that I think might be BG.They have more of a blue-green color tail and fins.They also have a distinctive black spot on the back of their dorsal fin.Are these acidental BG or the RES I stocked?..Thanks Joe.

Boy, Joe, I'm not sure if it will be possible to tell you what you've got without a picture, though some of the ID gurus here may be able to give you some better input. Since both are sunfish, they have a lot of similarities so things like coloration and the spot are often common traits among them. It's when you get a closer look that even those common traits do show the variation that makes each species unique. RES and BG both have that spot on the ear tab, but with RES, there's usually a touch of red, hence the name.

I could be way off base on this, but since I'm the first one to reply, I guess I get to take the credit for either giving you a reasonably accurate tidbit of info, or for leading you down the primrose path! We'll find out which one it is before long, I'm sure!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB