OKI here we go.
Iff you some how can put your pump in to action wihin time available,I would go that route instead off spending time on colecting/mowing stock,this might cost the loss off the entire stock, but the upside or gain is the experience (the biggest value is the log or outcome of your efforts/input(tools and time spent))
You can stop your intentionaly reason for stocking the 1/4 acre pond now, and move the stck to the bigger pond.
Or you can put in the tools/time available, to turn your original goals with stocking the 1/4 pond, in to a experience, that you can profit on (long term) by just observing as best as you can, nature taking its turns, with minimum interference(input).
I can identiefie with your experience (been there done that), so my post was ment as:Turn a unforseen thing, in to a learning experience, no matter predicteble outcome, even if you don't have any time or tool available.
Your investment (stocking/1/4 pond) will give a long term profit, in this prospectiv.
That was my intntions with my burning post, shearing my thaughts(any) as you requested.
I'w seen a lot of people dropping out in this
(pond or other habitat husbandery) because off what you are experiencing right now, do to lack off recogniseing the value off a failed investment(time/efort spent).

Anyhow If you have a small pond trying to raise forage or other things where you are deepended on recurculate your water I belive the cheapest and most eficiente way to loop water is patented by
Dr. Novak do to its simplicity availability and all over cost (free) a part from the building part (low).
And maybe most important it still does woork biologicaly below 32F/0C. http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html
It is a UK link but the best on the subject, I think, the problem of beeing recogniced as a genius amongst your own has slaughterd
Dr. Novak, in the US, (I'w been reading 1000ends of pages on differente forums on this an are amaced that he is not a nervous wreck by the beating his got, on tha patent.
In Europe an down under this have been wery much welcomed dough.
And the ovner off mankysanke beeing a journalist for populare magazines have made it undersandebale and dereby available for the hobbieist.
So again good luck on the developement no matter what you do or don't keep sharing your thaughts out loud, I will
(but newer to intentionally offend or burn anybody)
I think the link might be of intrest for a lot off the pondmeisters

PAUL