I have waged war against my grass carp for 4-5 years. While it is true that GC can be caught on Aquamax or corn, the problem is that both bluegills and channel catfish also eat this stuff and are much more numerous than the GC. So basically you just sift through dozens of BG and CC hoping to hit a GC. I have connected 3 or 4 times doing this and it is a blast, of course, since my GC run from 25-33lbs. Nevertheless it is not a realistic way to reduce their numbers. I also bowfish for them. If you shoot one while it is eating food pellets, the commotion upsets everything in the vicinity and the GC won't come to feed for a couple of weeks or so. Thus the efficiency of this approach is limited by the spookiness of the GC. I have had the most luck watching the edges of my pond for ripples at the very edge where a GC is rooting the vegetation. I live 75 feet up the bank from my 3 acre pond so I can keep a close eye on it. I sneak down to the bank and shoot the GC with my bow. These are isolated fish almost always. They work their way along the shore line in one direction and you can station yourself slightly ahead of them which helps to keep from spooking them. GC are the wariest and most easily startled fish I have ever stalked. They put bonefish to shame. I don't see how they ever get any shallow water feeding done-they react to tiny birds flying over them and often for no apparent reason.
I have not tried shooting them with a gun of any kind because I was afraid I would not know if I had been successful. A question for those who have used .22's or such-can you tell when you have killed one or do you just assume you connected?

Layton Runkle