Not to raise too fine a point but better than a hemostat but similar is a needle driver. This is a surgical instrument we use to sew and is designed to grasp needles whereas hemostats are designed to clamp soft tissue. The difference is in the length of the jaw compared to the handle and the ruggedness of the the jaw. The needle driver jaw is much, much shorter than the handle section whereas the hemostat is relatively longer and often curved. The secret to not having these instruments not hurt your fingers is just using the tips of your fingers to handle them. I find using a hemostat or needle driver to remove gut hooked fish is most effective when the instrument is gently inserted throught the gills because it approaches the hook perpendicularly allowing the rotation of the hook in the usual manner for removal. I insert throught gills but observe through the mouth what I am doing. I have even successfully crimped the barb on a hook in situ in the gullet using this exposure. I concur that barbless fishing is the way to go if you are releasing fish.

Layton Runkle