Man, can I lay out a great 4th of July vacation or what! I mean, what could possibly be more fun than framing and covering a roof? Guys like Theo, Eddie, Jeff Gaines, and Ahvatsa know exactly what I mean. Who needs the Polynesian resort when ya gots nails, screws, PT wood, and sheet metal? (more evidence that payback will be a b**ch)
-
-
We opted for the snap lock metal roofing panels from Menards. The cost was about 20% more than their premium screw on roofing. It made more sense since the job is so small. Besides, the panels are 17" wide; cake to handle. They showed up at the store in a killer wooden 2 x 4 crate. Very impressive shipping container. There were 30 of 'em, all pre-cut to length. We spent alot of time keeping the roof framing square. It paid back big dividends. One roof ran perfectly true; the other ran off by .250" at the opposite end. The only fasteners that are exposed are the 2 screws at the eaves in each panel. All the others are covered by the snap seam and the ridge cap (oh yeah, there is a row of screws that run each side of the ridge cap at 16" OC, buzzed thru the snap seams and into the framing below...and a row securing each of 4 rake pcs). Anyway, the snap locks are very cool; very easy.
-

-
The gable ends overhang by 24", but I was still concerned for driven rain hitting the outside truss members at each end of the framing. We covered those opposing, outside trusses with 1/2" OSB and sandstone colored vinyl siding. We selected Forest Green for the metal roofing color. It's a few shades lighter than the ever-popular emerald green and D-ski picked it out. Hey, works for me.
-

-
These pics are at the end of another very long day. The sun is just setting behind the trees, so this pic is almost dramatic. D-ski says it looks computer generated for the blue reflections. I kinda like it.
-

-
...send rain; need about 3 more feet of depth.