Welcome to Pond Boss, Dennis! Glad you found the site! You'll get more great advice here than you can shake a stick at, so just stick around and wait for input to start rolling in!

I am by no means an expert, and didn't even have the luxury of staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did read about a similar situation in a post here in the last few days. That thread discussed a high water table intersecting your pond and the fact that your depth, to some extent or another, will be impacted by how high or low the water table moves. Makes sense when you think about it and it seems you are seeing that effect already. As far as expanding, I guess there are a lot of factors that impact that sort of a move including soil composition and your water source. If Nevada is as dry as it seems to be (guess that also depends on your locality), you may not have enough rainfall to provide the surface runoff needed to fill the extra space. If you could somehow get below the water table with good clay or even a liner, you may be able to get the pond filled over time and then be fairly well set.

These are just some thinking-out-loud sorts of musings, and they are probably all off base, so hang on till a real expert shows up with some input for you!

Again, welcome. And please post some pics of your place!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB