Quote:
Originally posted by eddie_walker:

Have you started mowing yet? Do you have a way to mow, or do you trailer something there?
The only mowing equipment we have is a garden tractor with a 50" deck. It is absolutely perfect for the walking trails thru the woods and the 26 gal pull behind tank sprayer is the icing on the cake. It is, tho, pretty labor intensive for open spaces with anything deeper than a foot or so. If it ever rains again and the 5 some acres of native grasses and wildflowers that we drilled begin to grow, this will have to be maintained. It ain't gonna be garden tractor work. I've mentioned a very good neighbor and friend that farms in the area. He has already warned me to avoid use of a bush hog or any type of rotary mower when the time comes. Rotary mowers create clumps and windrows that can choke the grasses and flowers underneath. He highly recommends use of a flail mower. He can handle either mowing situation for us, but will use the flail for the grasses/forbs. I chalk this stuff up as paid lawn maintenance and gladly accept the invoice. It's a nice break in an already fully loaded development schedule.