I like the idea of feeding trout to bass as forage as well as having some in the winter months to fish for. I have both a pond that will one day be ready for some winter trout, and a small one that I can stock more heavily to actually catch some.

I dont know if there are any trout producers close enought to me to be cost effective to pay delivery, much less have various sizes of trout at the times I would need them. Really I would be fine not stocking them until late jan or feb and only have them in the pond a month or two before they die off/get eaten by bass.

In a pond with no supplemental feeding, how much will a 9 inch trout grow in 3-4 months, as it starts to heat up?

Now to the question of raising them. Many forum members overwinter tilapia/ raise fish of their own. Could I raise them from egg, or would they have to be fingerling? Also would they be cannabilistic? of course if I tried to raise them I would feed them. Would I do this in a cage at a pond, or in a controlled environment like tubs in my garage? Once again where would I get the eggs/small trout. I was thinking if they were small enough I would just have them overnighted, but dont know if that would ever be an option.

It will probably never happen but its on my mind, and I figure you guys would have something to say.

Of course if I found a close supplier or someone to split the delivery costs with, I would just buy them and go about my way. trying to grow them out may cost more money in the long run anyway.

Get out and fish.