Hi, I'm new to the forum but have a question about using lime in a pond.
We dug about a ¼ acre pond, approx. 35x75x5’ deep with sloped sides. I’m estimating about 80,000 gallons however the pond is only about ½ full. We have well water.

I have koi in the pond and they require a pH between 7.5-9. I lost a 26”, high quality female Sunday night and a smaller female yesterday. Since I’ve calmed down and can think rationally, I’ve come to the conclusion the problem is a pH crash. My pH last night and this morning was 6.5. I have 0 hardness and alkalinity. I did not lime the pond.

Tonight I’m going to add a water pump and spray bar/fountain to aerate the water and start bringing the pH up. I need to add lime or something to increase the alkalinity and hardness to keep the pH stable but I can’t bring it up rapidly.

If I use the liquid limestone, how fast does this increase the pH? How long does it last? If I use ag lime, do I mix it with water and broadcast it into the pond or do I spread the powder across the surface? How fast does the dry powder raise the pH?

In my liner ponds, I added chicken scratch to the filters to increase the alkalinity. I’m thinking about adding it to the mud pond also. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the help.

Sandy