i know its been a long time and my memory isnt the greatest, but here i go. while on a trip to "spring creek" in NE oklahoma when i was in highschool i took a rod along and attempted to catch a few fish. it didnt take long and i did infact catch a few. what caught my atention was the fact that the bass like fish i was catching didntlook like a largemouth. the body was the same generally but i didnt take a real good look at the mouth to see any size or tooth patch difference. what amazed me was the color. it was almost a brown with spots along its side. i knew what a smallmouth was and looked like and it wasnt a smallie. it reminded me of a trout in color but i know it wasnt a trout either.I have looked at some subspecies of bass but none really compare to what i remember seeing that day. i would love to go back and catch one just to take a pic.does anyone have any ideas on what it was and has anyone ever stocked a pond with a subspecies of bass. one more thing, it had no green on it and the spots on a half pound fish were the size of a BB and had maybe a dozen on each side