Well I am trying to expand my efforts in getting several strains of tropical water lilies to overwinter, or stay in the pond in subfreezing temps. My other push the boundry projects with lilies are getting strains to survive drawdowns, where they are out of the water and on dry land during the growing season, and maximum depths, have some surfacing from 9 feet deep already.

The reason for this project is tropical lilies are better flower producers, and have more available colors. In colder water temps they can be slow starters, but once they get going they outperform any hardy. Another reason for this is I have tried taking them out of the soil and bringing them in. Results have been mixed at best, and that is just something no customer wants anything to do with. If I can't get them in the ground, or at least stay in the water over our winters, I can't deal with them.

The four varieties I am trying are Albert Greenburg, Pamela Blue, Castaliflora and Tina. I have already succeeded with Panama Pacific. But that is 4 new types, 4 different colors. Some will go containers, some in fountains, some directly into earthen ponds after I get them going in my stock tubs. I am also adding three more 300 gal. rubbermaid stock tanks. I should be able to have 250 lilies at my home base, and even more in ponds and fountains I manage.

If I don't go way outside the box I cannot help people with difficult demanding ponds. For example Jeff has a drawdown pond. I don't know of one single guy out there working to solve that obstacle. I have and am expanding. In my area when anybody has a difficult or a no success project with lilies, people call me in. I hope to have 4-5 tropicals with colors hardies don't have available within a year. And yes, they will have to survive under ice.