JHAP -- As you well know, not all CPAs and accountants have similar experiences and clients. Some are far more interesting than others.

Many years ago when Lynda was doing her CPA internship, one of her duties was income tax returns. We lived in a predominantly rural area that abutted a growing Washington DC suburb, with many of the new comers ("come here's" as the old families called us) coming from the big cities of the North East.

One afternoon, she could hear that the conversation in the next cubical wasn't going well between a young Eastern socialite who was trying to do the taxes for a very hardened and elderly Southern belle. It started with a discussion about subsidies, CRP, etc. It degraded into a difficult livestock discussion (think PETA), and finally to the young lady asking the mature belle if they had butchered or sold the bush hog they acquired about the same time they got their spring piglets, new heifers, and young steers.

Lynda and I became good friends with the Southern Belle (rest her soul) and her now 89 YO husband. We still laugh and recall the story every time I have to weld a piece back on my "bush hog".

More than once I've felt that my bush hog has become something pretty akin to road kill. Sober, or otherwise, I've never given it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. But, so far, I've not completely butchered that poor bush hog.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!