I got an unusual algae bloom last fall (new for me) in the former trout pond that turned the water the color of root beer or coffee. If you put the water into a white bucket it appears urine colored yellow. Bill Cody identified the fall bloom as the Ochromonas genus a form of yellow-green algae. This one apparently is not one of the harmful ones and it doesn't seem to be bothering the yellow perch and fatheads. But for someone that is used to gin clear or aqua blue ponds this looks like Sheeeeet to me. And I've put in brush piles for perch egg removal and I can hardly see them now!

Funny I drained 99.9 percent of the water out of this pond this spring after the previous algae bloom and refilled with well water. In no time the algae was back. Two nearby ponds apparently do not have this algae in them as they are not this color.

Anyone else have a brown algae bloom? I think Eric (Ewest) said it's the norm where he's at?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/02/10 09:33 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.