Professor Gallus delivers a coveted award for achievement:
 Quote:
Forget going back to college. I hereby grant you an Honorary Doctorate from the Hardly Able School of Construction Engineering.
...this should help offset my high school graduating class vote of "most likely to party".
-
-
Jeff, my trusted PB dock motivational speaker, offers sound engineering advice...
 Quote:
Make sure that you install some diagonal bracing to keep the structure square. My metal roof was a bit heavy and shaky until I added diagonals.
I am pleased to report that my dock has handled some intense storms. We got hit hard a month ago and I lost dozens of large oaks, hickory and ash, but the dock stood firm with no damage.
I am glad that you mentioned this, Jeff. It was already on the drawing board, but I needed to hear it from "the man who owns one". You see, about 6 years ago I built an octagonal gazebo off our back deck, using very similar construction technique except the verts are 4 x 4. After attaching the roof, it was shaky and spindly...like a big, drunk spider in the wind. I added 4 x 4 diagonals, mitred and thru-bolted into an "X", between each vert. The spider sobered up, stout and tight as a drum, and went on to become the model for the War of the Worlds. :rolleyes:
If you go back to my last post, where I describe attaching the double 2 x 12 x 16' support members to the tops of the verts, you will remember and see the 2 x 10 cross member that I installed just below them to tie the verts together and minimize some of the rack. The plan would be to add another 2 x 10 just the other side of the existing and thru-bolt the entire mass...just like the perpendicular 2 x 12's they support. Then, I can cut 6 x 6 diagonals about 3 or 4 feet long, mitre the ends at 45 degrees (like one section of a picture frame). They can be thru-bolted, sandwiched between the 2 x stock running horizontal, and the other end can be either lagged or thru-bolted to the 6 x 6 vert. It will be OTT for structural integrity, but look very cool. The drawback will be the head-room obstruction potential. I s'pose if one kept them closer to 3 ft long overall, the chance of head bumps is minimized.
I truly mourn the loss of your beautiful trees. They are not so easily replaced...
-
-
...Sunil is relentless (and appreciated):
 Quote:
By the way, Brettski,....don't be too surprised if you see swarms of fathead minnows in those mini-ponds. I was there last weekend.
How and where do I find "certified" fathead minnows? I have read enough on this forum to fear introduction of unwanted guests. (oh yeah, and for the record, Norm's Ditch has about 3-4" of water and Sunil's Mound stands another 2 feet higher, surrounded by water ).
-
-
Mr Walker chimes in support:
 Quote:
Your dock sounds like it will be large enough to be very roomy and allow you to spend allot of time there with lots and lots of friends. In my next life, that's just what I want to do.
...Eddie, with your boundless DIY talent, I foresee you cutting down a redwood and carving the same deck, as one piece, with a stone sharpened grouser bar as a blade. Don't forget to wrap one end with a roll of ductape...I think that's how Henckels does it...? Oh yeah...and remember...all your hobbies have to wait 'til AFTER the dishes are cleaned and dried. No lip, Mister, or it's straight to the dozer without diesel!
-
-
(thanks, guys....your support means alot)