Welcome to the forum.

I think the risk is very low unless there are artesian wells in the area. The problem with a groundwater pond (and I have one) is that you are at the mercy of the water table. Something to consider: The proposed pond is at a 4' higher elevation than the house. Depending on how far down the water table is, (how deep is the basement dug into the soil?) that's how far down you will have to dig just to get to the water level. Once you've hit that level, you will have to dig another 8'-10' deeper than that. The sides of the pond should be sloped gradually enough so that you have easy walking in and out of the pond bowl, just to get to the water.

You'll probably have to pump the pond area continually during construction as well.

If you can, take pictures during the process. We like pictures, and they will be a good reference for you once it fills up.

If you haven't already started, I would strongly suggest building some cover for the fish that will inhabitat your pond, so you can place the cover as soon as the digging is completed. It's harder to place the cover in the pond once it's full.

Are you planning on one area of the pond with a very gradual slope (in the water) i.e. 5:1 to 7:1 so puppies can get wet without going too deep on their first forays into the water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).