Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Howdy Rick-
I'm on the exact other spectrum from TJ and CJ, and use the shortest rod and smallest reel I can find for my UL outfit. For the last few years, I've used the 4.5 and 5 ft microlite rods from BPS, and a Shimano symetre 500, or sometimes one of the really small UL reels BPS sells under its own brand. I usually use 2lb test; as long as its a good brand and changed frequently, and your hooks are kept sharp, it's just the thing for 1/80-1/12 oz lures....landing a 2 pound smallie or 1 pound RES is a project!

Jeesh always gotta be the dissenting voice! ;\)

Hey, they sell those small reels for a reason - glad the combo works for you Sac. All comes down to personal preference...BPS has a good sale going right now and you can get the Extreme rods for 60 bucks.

I agree and love the ability to cast those 1/80 oz jigs for the finicky BG bite - it's crazy being able to cast a ice jig. I bought a custom made spinning rod from a rod maker featured in In Fisherman that Travis is talking about. It's a 9.5' 1 wt fly rod blank and whips tiny jigs a mile. Small rods and longer rods - all have their places.

I still like to get away with the largest reel I can without compromising the balance of the rig. Maybe you can teach me how to maximize the performance of your wee spinning reels when I come fish UL for your monster SMB, Yolkie? \:\)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]